HOW TO LAY
DIY vs. an installer:
DO IT YOURSELF
- Install the floor yourself with our convenient Uniclic® click system
- No glue, no staining, no mess
- User-friendly installation instructions at your diposal
CONSULT AN EXPERT
- Use the services of a qualified master installer
- Perfect results guaranteed, from the laminate flooring to the skirting boards
- Free lifetime warranty on the installation
How to lay your own Quick-Step laminate floor
STEP 1: Prepare your subfloor
The first step depends on the type of subfloor you’re working with, so you’ll have to inspect it. We highly recommend working on a level, stable, and clean subfloor. Don’t forget to check for any loose parts.
How big can the joints in your existing tile floor be? How can you level out irregularities? What about underfloor heating?
Take your time to read the installation instructions so you are fully prepared to get started!
- Watertight laminate: Capture, Classic, Creo, Eligna, Impressive (Ultra), Majestic & Muse
- Watertight laminate: Impressive Patterns
- Not watertight laminate: Largo
- Underfloor heating instructions
How to lay a laminate on an existing floor
How long should I wait to lay laminate on a fresh concrete floor?
STEP 2: Choose your underlay
Choosing the right underlay is a crucial part of installing your brand-new laminate flooring in a hassle-free way. Our specially designed Quick-Step underlays are moisture-proof, insulating, noise-reducing, and levelling. Thanks to the smooth top surface, installing the laminate panels is a piece of cake.
Why should I choose an underlay?
STEP 3: Collect your tools
Want to save yourself a few trips and interruptions during the installation? Make sure you have a couple of essential tools at hand before you get started.
A hammer and a saw are among the usual suspects, but there are several other tools that will make your life a lot easier.
STEP 4: Install your underlay
Time to get started!
- Roll out your underlay (see step 2) and push it as close as possible against the wall.
- Lay one row at a time and make sure you go in the same direction that you plan to lay your floor (see step 5).
- Use the flap and glue strip for easy installation of the underlay with an integrated moisture-resistant screen. When you cannot use the flap and strip, use an adhesive tape to attach the rows together in order to make the installation damp-proof.
STEP 5: Start laying your laminate floor
- First, check how many full rows of planks you will need by dividing the width of the room by the width of a plank.
- Make a mark on the wall where you’ll be laying your last full plank. The last plank should be at least 5 cm wide for easy installation.
- Unpack your planks and mix them up to avoid adjacent identical patterns and colour variations.
- For an optimal result, start laying your first row of laminate planks in line with the longest wall, but do not lay them flush against it (as walls are hardly ever perfectly straight).
- Make sure to alternate your alignment so that end joints of successive rows are never in line. We recommend at least 30 cm between them.
- Click the first plank of the second row into the first plank of the first row (see video) and keep going like that.
- Quick-Step laminate is not intended for "glued-down" installation.
STEP 6: Saw your laminate floor
There’s no way around it: you will have to cut your laminate floor to make sure it fits your space perfectly. But don’t worry! We’ll show you exactly how to do it.
Wear gloves and use a pencil to draw your cutting lines. Always saw your planks with the top surface decoration facing upwards.
STEP 7: Finish your laminate floor in style
With your laminate floor in place, you’re almost there! Now it’s time to complete the picture with matching skirting boards, finishing profiles, and other fine touches. After all, it’s all in the details.
How do I finish my waterproof laminate floor?
How to miter laminate skirting boards?
Still got questions?
Need help finishing your project to your satisfaction?
Take a look at our help centre, which contains answers to the most frequently asked questions!